Author Topic: The 301 Redirect Technique For Ranking In Google  (Read 9855 times)

Offline Agent Blackhat

• Administrator
  • Merely the facilitator
    • Agent Blackhat SEO Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114

Press Esc to close
Here is the blogpost about the 301 redirect technique http://agentblackhat.com/how-to-easily-bypass-google-and-reach-position-one-for-any-keyword-using-blackhat-301-redirects/

There has been varied success with this technique, when it works, it works great, but there are times when a site only ranks for a few days and then drops again.

By constantly testing and sharing our findings we can eliminate factors which decrease longevity of the moneysite.

Here are some really important aspects of this technique that I've learned over the past few weeks which will likely make the technique work better and bypass some penalties Google may put in place when they target it.

Domain Content History

I often take what Matt Cutts says with a pinch of salt, but you shouldn't dismiss what he says completely. Canonical tags and 301s will look at the previous content and layout of a site. For canonical tags especially, the target page(according to Cutts) should have near the exact same content for it to be effective. I think this may play a part now, or in the future for the effectiveness of the 301.

Domain Index Status

I said in my main post that you can use this technique with penalized domains, this is what I've observed, however if you want to spend time ensuring that the sites stay live for a long time then it is best not to use penalized domains. Using a site that is not penalized can only be a good thing.

Domain Owner Status

If a site changed ownership recently, such as a dropped domain form an auction then I believe this may have an effect on the technique. In my blogpost I stated that I used old domains that i'd owned for a long time. Buying domains from GoDaddy is a good way to acquire domains however they may have lessened value if bought recently. A better way to acquire domains might be to buy websites from other people and use domain privacy on all of them. 

The importance of allowing a domain to age before redirecting

There is a trend I've definitely noticed between successful attempts versus unsuccessful attempts.

Most of the successful stories i'm hearing are from people who had either

1) Domains already in the niche they want to try the 301 technique in.

or

2) They let the domains sit for a few weeks with content in before they started redirecting.

What is certainly apparent is that failures stem from people buying dropped domains on GoDaddy and immediately redirecting them.

I think we should start letting newly bought domains from GoDaddy sit for a while with some content on before we begin to redirect.

Redirecting to authority domains
We often find blackhatters using the redirect technique will redirect to authority sites such as Google.com and Wikipedia.com before or in-between redirecting to a new site. I'm not 100% sure on the reason why yet but we have theories and it would be a good idea to follow suit until we get a better understanding of the benefits this brings.
« Last Edit: 4 years ago by Agent Blackhat »

Offline reaper73

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The 301 Redirect Technique For Ranking In Google
« Reply #1 about: 4 years ago »
My results so far:

Project started: July 7th

Keywords: there are 7 related to a medical-type service and range from 1,000 exact match US to 90,000 exact match US for the primary keyword.

As of today July 19th, 4 of the 7 keywords are ranked in Google's main index, the other three are not in the Top 100 for the search (including the primary keyword)

does xxxxxxxxxxxx hurt        Exact Match Local (US) 1600         #36
does xxxxxxxxxxxx work        Exact Match Local (US) 2400         #62
free xxxxxxxxxxxx report        (No search volume in Google)        #2 (Yahoo #11)
xxxxxxxxxxxx             Exact Match Local (US) 90000      Not in top 100
xxxxxxxxxxxx facts         Exact Match Local (US) 1000         #62
xxxxxxxxxxxx reviews         Exact Match Local (US) 2400         Not in top 100
xxxxxxxxxxxx side effects      Exact Match Local (US) 2900         Not in top 100

We used a brand new domain for the money site, WHOIS protected and used a mix of subdomains and root domains on existing PR2 and PR3s (all on individual class C IPs) to do the 301 redirects and purchased all of the services ABH used in the original blogpost.

Offline Agent Blackhat

• Administrator
  • Merely the facilitator
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 about: 4 years ago »
Are the redirects only 301ing the homepage? Or do all the old pages also 301 properly?

Also did you build varied anchor text or just build for the core keyword?

Offline reaper73

• Liked:
« Reply #3 about: 4 years ago »
Where I was able, I redirected using all the keywords (where I wasn't I just used the primary keyword) and yep, they're all redirecting to the homepage.

Offline Agent Blackhat

• Administrator
  • Merely the facilitator
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 about: 4 years ago »
Where I was able, I redirected using all the keywords (where I wasn't I just used the primary keyword) and yep, they're all redirecting to the homepage.

For me, I don't think this one has been successful. I think you should be further up the rankings by now.

It might be time to start thinking about registering a new domain and redirecting them to the new domain.  My most recent domain ranked faster than ever to the top, but after about a week received a -50 penalty.

I observed one guy who would always 301 all his domains to google.com inbetween redirecting.

There are still details to this technique which need to be worked out, as with anything in SEO it doesn't work every time.

It might be worth you creating a thread listing everything you did so we can look and see the differences between others.

Offline DextronBH

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 about: 4 years ago »
OK, it's been a month since this original post went live on AgentBlackHat - so has anybody had any success from it yet?  Don't expect anyone to out any urls just yet, just a yay or nay to your experience of its effectiveness so far will do!

From my tests its been going ok, I got on the bandwagon late and only kicked off about 2 weeks ago but its already hitting page 2/3 for it's main terms (UK insurance niche, approx 12k monthly searches).  It does seem to have stalled in the past few days as no new links to the 301's are being built (most now have between 5k and 25k backlinks each) - do I need to keep on with fresh backlinks to the 301's or is it just a waiting game now?  In the last few days I have started dripfeeding social signals to the main site as well as a fiverr local business listings gig but nothing else - maybe its worth getting a few HQ links to the main site, what do you think?

Cheers

Dex

Offline dracula

• Liked:
« Reply #6 about: 4 years ago »
I started this experiment a few weeks ago as well and it's taken this long to get any decent results, it's definitely climbing in the SE's at the moment, will keep monitoring/tracking and report back.

Offline RadiantDarkness

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #7 about: 4 years ago »
Dex one thing I think people are losing sight of on this forum is following instructions blindly.
Experimentation is one of the evolving necessities of SEO and I like your mix of social signals and local directory listings... Both of those can be very powerful in local niches. Social signals and Google+ especially..

If you are using crork's social signals from fiverr you're actually on the right path. Google+ has been a tricky little bastard, but a little research on competitors through MOZ/Raven has been showing me lately that more Google+ is stronger than most backlinks unless they are DA=90-99.

For example competitor 1 has 1500 sloppy links and is ranking #3 while competitor 2 has 75 Google+ follows/likes and is ranking #1 without 1 damn backlink....

I would like to get a test out there that involves this type of setup.

1. Purchase the domains and store them so they are in your name for awhile- Like Agent Black hat said.
2. Make social media accounts for your niche directing at your niche.
3. Get a PO box for a local region/state/country. Or virtual office space for the local advantage.
4. 301 Redirrect with all of the backlinks/subs
5. Link wheel to main site
6. Social signals purchase from fiverr or BHW. They are the fastest way to index a site right now.
7. Local citation submission dripping for 2 weeks so you ride the wave of their power.
8. Youtube video submission and spinning with local citations and blast it with views/subs/shares/etc on drip feed.

Link here - http://www.blackhatunderground.net/forum/index.php?topic=36.0

This should actually rank you the fastest possible way while indexing you as rapidly as possible.

Let's get a case study going on this. It looks nice on paper now I would like to see it work on the SERPS. It includes all of the top 10 most powerful ways to rank right now.

Any thoughts on this???

-Colby
« Last Edit: 4 years ago by RadiantDarkness »

Offline DextronBH

• Liked:
« Reply #8 about: 4 years ago »
Hi mate I've used the 1 week free trial of driprevolution.com (which I think is owned by the crork guys) but also added a few fiverr gigs to the mix:

http://fiverr.com/dripservice/give-you-1000-social-signals-with-30-days-drip-feed

and

http://fiverr.com/robinh84/get-you-25-diggs-25-google-plus-35-tweets-50-facebook-likes-30-stumbleupon-likes-and-10-

I do think G+ could be pretty useful and I've started the authorship stuff on a few of my white hat sites but yet to see any improvements (doing it all naturally and organically, commenting and sharing on G+ and getting relevant followers) apart from increased ctr cos of the picture in serps.

Your idea for a test sounds good.  I wonder if you could reuse social accounts and point them to a new url once the initial site has been penalised to save creating a new one each time?

Offline RadiantDarkness

• Liked:
« Reply #9 about: 4 years ago »
Possibly.... the performance increase comes from Google thinking that there is a viral video/picture/ statement like a PR frenzy.

I would use this it has worked in the past for tests http://fiverr.com/crorkservice/send-300-facebook-likes-250-usa-twitter-followers-200-google-circles-100-pinterest-repins-50-stumbleupon-likes-drip-feed-3-days

Like I said I am not opposed to using Fiverr, but I would rather pay a little extra for higher quality if need be. Crork seems to be the best bang for your buck on fiverr and I've used a lot of his stuff for test runs and he seems to be the best on there.

Offline DextronBH

• Liked:
« Reply #10 about: 4 years ago »
Cheers - I'll give that gig a go!

Offline DextronBH

• Liked:
« Reply #11 about: 4 years ago »
Hi chaps, its been 3 weeks now since my 301 project kicked off and its not hit page 1 for its main terms yet but still on page 2/3 which is pretty respectable.  Hows everyone else doing?  Hoping to see some more movement over the next week or 2 but don't know whether to just sit it out or build some more links - what are you guys doing?

Offline frequencies

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #12 about: 4 years ago »
Does anyone tried to use a web 2.0 blog like tumblr etc. as the money site?

This because I notest that sites with high DA (2.0 blogs) outrank sites with high pr and a lot of backlinks

Offline RadiantDarkness

• Liked:
« Reply #13 about: 4 years ago »
That is very interesting frequency.... I have thought about that a lot lately because of the web 2.0 presence.

Any1 have experience or tests with this?

Offline MK3

• Liked:
« Reply #14 about: 4 years ago »
A question: which crorck services would u recommend taking?
http://fiverr.com/crorkservice

Can you tell something about the effects of his different services? Like, wot is good for wot?

Offline RadiantDarkness

• Liked:
« Reply #16 about: 4 years ago »
Social Signals work well.... 40,000 blog comments, and the crork link are pretty effective for $15.

Also with crork he will always go above and beyond if you message him prior to a purchase.

You can get almost anything he offers drip fed over 2-4 weeks which makes him a nice service if you aren't using magic submitter or rumer etc...

Offline giff

• Liked:
« Reply #17 about: 4 years ago »
Guys I am going to be testing this for a YouTube video.

1. Is it viable (I really dont know)

2. Has anyone tried it?

I will be testing against a video I have in position 5 Google which I got there in 5 weeks using traditional backlinking methods.

I will keep keyword density the same and use identical video with different backing track to keep safe against duplicate content.

Anyon try this? Any recommendations for a YouTube video?

Offline Agent Blackhat

• Administrator
  • Merely the facilitator
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 about: 4 years ago »

2. Has anyone tried it?

I will be testing against a video I have in position 5 Google which I got there in 5 weeks using traditional backlinking methods.

I will keep keyword density the same and use identical video with different backing track to keep safe against duplicate content.

I was speaking to another person recently who specializes in youtube videos and was also interested in using 301s to achieve rankings.

I think this could be a very productive case study.

To make this a useful case study, you should create a thread detailing what you intend to achieve, how you intend to do it and people can give you some feedback, just make sure you get all the details in there. The devil is always in the details and something small can affect the outcome a lot.

I like to take a scientific approach to this type of thing because we are trying to determine exactly what ranks and what does not.

Also, detail what the purpose of ranking your video is for, the overalls trategy. The more info we get, the more we can test and conclude.

Offline giff

• Liked:
« Reply #19 about: 4 years ago »
Ok will do this today :)

2. Has anyone tried it?

I was speaking to another person recently who specializes in youtube videos and was also interested in using 301s to achieve rankings.

I think this could be a very productive case study.

To make this a useful case study, you should create a thread detailing what you intend to achieve, how you intend to do it and people can give you some feedback, just make sure you get all the details in there. The devil is always in the details and something small can affect the outcome a lot.

I like to take a scientific approach to this type of thing because we are trying to determine exactly what ranks and what does not.

Also, detail what the purpose of ranking your video is for, the overalls trategy. The more info we get, the more we can test and conclude.

Offline Casey

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #20 about: 4 years ago »
Here's a summary of what I've recently did:

(Keyword is Mid competition in Real Estate niche)

1. Purchased 1 new keyword rich domain for money site (website A).
2. Build the site with on page SEO. 5 pages of contents with zero backlinks. Website indexed, but ranking nowhere.

3. Purchased an aged domain (website B) with PR for redirect purpose, no keyword in TLD
4. Build website B with 5 pages of unique content.
5. Blast website B with tons of links targeting multiple keywords.

6. After the page is ranking for the main keyword, I redirect website B to website A.

Results:

Website B got deindexed after awhile (that's normal)

Website A main keyword is now ranking on page 1, #7.

That's just one redirect.
I'll be blasting more links to website B and see if website A climbs higher in the SERP.

At this point of time, I'm not sure if its necessary to build the 5 pages of unique contents, since you'll be redirecting it anyway? But I do build a clone page for the main homepage in order to be inline with this post from moz for 100% relevancy: http://moz.com/blog/save-your-website-with-redirects

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 4 years ago by Casey »

Offline --LX--

• Liked:
« Reply #21 about: 4 years ago »
I've noticed that after the drop in rankings you can just redirect to a new subdomain of your site, this will result in the same rankings as before the drop.

For example, if mysite.com got penalized after a month, I just redirect mysite.com to free.mysite.com and rankings return to where they were. No need to register a new domain every time.

Offline dollarjames

• Liked:
« Reply #22 about: 4 years ago »
Has anyone tried 301 redirecting to an image ?

301 High PR domains --> moneysite.com/keyword.jpeg

+ if needed, blast the High PR domains with anchor optimized links

Offline thedorf

• Liked:
« Reply #23 about: 4 years ago »
Interesting thought DollarJames - are you trying to rank the image?  I could see some serious banking if this worked out.

Offline dollarjames

• Liked:
« Reply #24 about: 4 years ago »
Actually, I noticed that some of my penguin penalized websites were still ranking in top positions on Google images and getting a decent amount of traffic, meaning my websites are still making some money!

So my question is, what do you guys think about direct link building to images ? Do you think Google is more tolerant with link builiding to images rather than pages ?

Considering there is less competition for images, my idea would be to test blackhat methods like the 301 redirect BUT with direct backlinks to images (domain.com/image.jpeg)

Offline spunko2010

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #25 about: 4 years ago »
DollarJames did you ever try linking to images?

Offline GreenInkWriter

• Liked:
« Reply #26 about: 3 years ago »
These technique is very useful for ranking in Google because Google pagerank is directly proportional to the quality links which point to your site. 301 is the best way to easily increase the number of backlinks that will point to your site and increase the page rank.

Offline merlinufo

• Liked:
« Reply #27 about: 3 years ago »
Make sure you use a domain with a PA DA over 25 for this method..

Offline erurer

• Liked:
« Reply #28 about: 3 years ago »
Anyone tested spammed hight TF/DA sites to 301 to a new site without getting a penalty?

Offline hampol24

• Liked:
« Reply #29 about: 2 years ago »
whether this method still works?