No real reasoning behind doing this rather large post, but I thought considering Colby & Carter were into em.. I might try my hand at it.
I have never really been the biggest fan of Forums, users generally annoy me, are arrogant/stupid and it's either full of spam or full of "real spam" aka people asking the same questions over and over without ever learning how to use a damn search box. BHU seems different though, yes you may have the occasional tard but the majority seem to be interesting, and likeable people - Especially in the depths of the Skype group, where the real info warriors lurk.
I had a reader of my blog (inb4 self promotion... psch.. ain't even linking) Skype me a few weeks back talking about his "Investment" into the SEO Industry, aka he'd decided he liked the look of affiliate marketing/SEO and spent his LIFE SAVINGS (He was only 24, but still nearly £12,000) on buying links to a few diet based sites he'd built without even putting an affiliate link on them.
Yes, in all seriousness.. This is REALLY happened.
He'd built 6 sites, all at the same product for a few different keywords in the same theme, on the same host - Coming upto around £300 spend now? He'd bought a VPS at £79.99/month + all the domains from a UK host that were charging £20+ per .co.uk domain and then purchased a Premium Theme from ThemeForest even though he'd never used Wordpress before.
Then, to make it even worst he'd used a service called Text-Link-Ads - Which he'd pulled from my E-Commerce post on Matthew Woodward, in which I recommended the service to buy niche relevant and high DA/PA links in small amounts to quality sites because they're EXPENSIVE.. Talking $20+ pr DA30 link. Not to mention these aren't even permanent, they're monthly.
He'd ended up buying over 200 links for his sites, mostly "inlinks" which is an inner page, without even using the Filter system I recommended so freakin heavily.
Let's put that spend into context:
£300 / $500 on Domains + Hosting + Themes
$3,700/month aka £2,200 on links
So, on his FIRST
month of doing SEO, he spent a total of $4,300 on actual things to boost his site.
He'd also bought Ahrefs, SERPBook and a few "guides" he'd found on blogs and by (this is an ACTUAL quote) -
Taken from our Skype conversation.
This is why most of the SEOs in the world will complain about there Parasite pages not working or a site overtaking them in the SERPs, or their site being slapped back to Page 100 by an Algo/Manual update.. Because you don't invest time and money into learning before you jump ball deeps into trying to rank for a niche (like dieting) that already has black hats in it who have been in this game for years and know SEO, Google and the gaming the Algo better than Larry Page..There's a Lot of Misinfo -
Before you can really start to "learn" SEO and the ways of a BH, GH or WH Ninja.. You need to realize 2 things.
1) SEO changes a LOT. Posts from 2009 are more than likely going to be completely irrelevant now.
2) People purposefully put out misinformation to either benefit their own strategies or just because they don't actually know how SEO works. Most SEO bloggers are full of shit - The only ones I count as actually being worthwhile to read are Jacob King, Matthew Woodward and ViperChill, 3 sites that I base a lot of my content from because these guys actually know stuff and will only post stuff when they feel it'll benefit the reader... Unlike Moz, SEL or w/e that won't post stuff purely for there own "moral reasons" psch.. Idgaf if I'm "Gaming" a multiple billion dollar corp.
Also, as a 3rd lesson.. Don't follow Cutts and anything Google releases. There business model doesn't want SEO to exist, they want people spending money on Ads, not knowing how to rank a site, because that takes money away from there revenue and PROFIT - Which is what all corporations are there to get, profit.
Learn from people, blog posts, forum posts or however you want to learn from the creators who don't have any benefit in giving you information that is false. You could probably learn SEO just from reading case studies and the big posts a lot of the members on this forum put out.
Though don't go trying to learn SEO from forums like Black Hat World and Warrior Forum, or you'll be back to square one via spending a load of money on BSTs and being misinformed by SEO Retards who lurk forums because they have no real concept of the Industry and have nothing better to do with their time than post garbage on forums whilst their own sites don't rank.TL;DR -
1) Don't spend a fortune in your first few weeks.
2) Don't start your career by competing in Niches that are competitive and other SEOs who are better than you are already in/dominating.
3) Be serious. You can't learn SEO in a matter of hours, nor will you learn it from a 10 page PDF or hour long video from some idiot SEO blogger like SourceWave.. Alex Becker is the worst, he'll tell you a basic strategy that could take a minute over a Skype call and turn it into a 2 hour long Webinar where he talks shit about how he's making so much money and has a f*cking Lamborghini that he rents on weekends.P.S.
This is my first Forum post, so sorry if the formatting is shit but it comes with the territory of not being THAT active on forums and not being at the level of Gif creation/usage of God of Gifs Carter.